Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge
|Levels:||42 solo, 27 network|
|Developer:||Marathon Map Makers Guild|
|Initial Release:||March 20, 1997|
|Latest Release:||May 20, 2007, v 3.0|
Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge is a unique scenario that uses the Aleph One engine. It is a first-person action adventure game, featuring an epic and in-depth story line. As a Federation Marine resting after your last mission, you start aboard the exploration class Starship Kronos where you learn that your real mission has yet to begin. You are re-acquainted with the AI Merlin, who introduces you to Kronos time traveling technology, and reveals your new mission: to save mankind from the clutches of Morgana and her minions. Through untamed raptor-infested jungles, castle arenas, and war-torn streets of the future, you will wield weapons from all time periods - including the Sword of Power, Excalibur - in an effort to thwart the diabolical plot that unfolds. The EMR adventure, spread across 42 solo levels, weaves a tale of truth and honor, knighthood and bravery, and darkness and treachery. EMR also delivers 27 adrenaline pumped network levels. EMR immerses you in an amazing new world, creating an addictive, fun and unique gaming experience.
For those that played EMR under the old Marathon Infinity engine, EMR 3.0 brings exciting new maps, new high resolution textures and landscapes, a completely new set of weapons, new monsters and friends, new scenery, new 16-bit sounds, original music, and a carefully woven original story line that transcends time. Using the Aleph One engine, EMR now sports loads of new special features using Aleph One's MML and Lua scripting languages. Please note that the AlephOne engine is old technology improved. Architecture is still simulated 3D, so there are no ramps, bridges, and balconies, nor horizontal doors. The sprites in EMR are made up of 2D images posed in different views, not 3D models. Do not expect the latest state-of-the-art graphics engine, but you can expect an intriguing storyline, creative map architectures, engaging graphics, original spellbinding music, and mood-setting sound effects.
- Levels with fog and mist
- Persistent effects such as poison, earthquakes, fire storm spell, and timed grenades
- Original MP3 music
- 12 unique weapons, including a new Dragon Flamer and T9000 Railgun
- New spells for your wand, including fire storm, teleportation, and raise the dead
- Beautifully rendered OpenGL textures and landscapes
- New graphics for Morgana, the Trex, raven, and Jurassic bug
- A huge variety of new hi-res scenery items
- New holodeck programs, including driving a Flintstone mobile through Bedrock!
- Blood Gulch style net map with 8 simulated net players and a huge battlefield
- A basketball court netmap where grenades in a basket win points for your team
- A beautiful new future level that let's you drive a Hoverbike!
- A total of 5 brand new solo maps and 4 new net maps
- Lots of updated maps with new areas, new tasks, new features, and new secrets
- New powerups, such as apples, bananas, health kits, emergency kits, and finally a use for all those magic scrolls!
- And much, much, more...
- Wrist Blades: retractable gauntlet claws made out of titanium alloy.
- Snyper Handgun: a .45 Gauss handgun, it is notable for its incredible accuracy and high rate of fire. Each magazine holds 8 rounds. Can be dual-wielded. Ammo: Snyper Magazines.
- Spear/Rocks: found in the Jurassic time period, this is a stone spear. It is somewhat slow but has good reach (melee combat) and decent power. The secondary option throws out five rocks in a wide spread which do low damage apiece. Ammo: Rock Bundles.
- Crossbow: Found in the Medieval time period, this is an arrow-firing repeater crossbow (such weapons were known to the medieval Chinese, but were extremely uncommon to medieval Europeans) which's magazine holds up to 8 arrows. The weapon is slow in fire rate but is quite powerful and accurate. It can be upgraded to fire poison arrows. Ammo: Arrows
- Poison Crossbow: This is an upgraded crossbow that fires more powerful poison arrows that drain the enemy's hit points. Ammo: Poison Arrows.
- Dachron Minigun: A multi-chambered 13-barreled minigun; fires 10mm rifle rounds at a high rate with moderate accuracy and stopping power. Due to the multi chambered design, it can fire a bullet from each barrel, and the secondary option does just that: the result is a shotgun-style blast of 13 rounds, but at the cost of heavy recoil. Each magazine holds 52 rounds. Ammo: Dachron Magazines.
- Battle Axe: Found in the Medieval time period, this melee weapon is very powerful but is slow. Since it is an axe, it has unlimited ammo.
- Magic Staff: Found in the Medieval time period, this staff has various properties that change from mission to mission. The most common configuration is the Staff of Ice and Fire, which can throw either exploding fireballs (primary fire) or three homing ice bolts (secondary trigger). Other types of staff include a staff that creates large firestorms, a supercharged version of the regular staff, one that raises the dead to fight for the player, a staff that can teleport the user around, a staff that creates a giant stone foot to crush the enemy reminiscent of the opening of Monty Python's Flying Circus, and more. However, the weapon cannot be reloaded and a new one must be found once its energy has been exhausted.
- Dragon Flamethrower: a flamethrower, very similar in appearance to the ones used in the movie Aliens. Ammo: Napalm Canisters.
- Radon Phaser PX5/PX6: A handheld directed-energy weapon. Primary fire fires a phaser pulse; accurate, fast-firing, no recoil, but little damage per second. Ammo: Phaser Packs. The Phaser can be upgraded later in the game to the PX6 model, which adds a plasma grenade option. The secondary fire rate fires plasma grenades much like those fired by the Fuel Rod Cannon in Halo. These grenades are effected by gravity, but are extremely powerful. Each plasma pack yields three plasma grenades. Ammo: Plasma Packs.
- EMF4000-g Hightech Weapons System: this is a dual purpose missile launcher/ plasma cannon. Primary fire fires powerful multi-purpose missiles. Each missile pack holds 2 missiles. Ammo: Missile Packs. The secondary option fires three plasma bolts from the weapon's three barrels with each press of the trigger. The secondary option has a high fire rate and can do considerable damage. Ammo: Plasma Packs.
- T9000 Railgun: an extremely accurate electromagnetic railgun that does considerable damage per shot. Unlike the "Quake" style railgun, the railgun here has a very high fire rate. Each magazine holds 26 rounds. Ammo: Railgun Slugs. The Railgun has a underbarrel grenade launcher that fires sticky grenades that, once fired, explode after three seconds. Ammo: Sticky Grenades.
- Excalibur: The sword of King Arthur, Excalibur plays a major role in the storyline and is one of the most powerful weapons in the game. Primary attack swings the sword; close ranged but very powerful and fast attack. The secondary attack charges up a ranged lighting-bolt attack that is extremely powerful and has a blast radius. This uses up more energy than a melee attack. Excalibur is the only weapon that can harm a multiplayer opponent who is using an invincibility potion/shield. Ammo: Water Vials.
- Light Sabre: Extremely similar to the ones used in the Star Wars films, the light saber is similar to Excalibur, but has no secondary option. It uses Power Cells as ammunition.